Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Data, Data, Data!

So, one aspect of teaching that's FOREVER changing is the way that we teachers collect data in the classroom. It seems like the expectations put on teachers each year grows and grows. Our to-do list is forever long! The last couple of years I've tried multiple different strategies to collect reading/literacy data in my classroom. I've found one method that truly works for me!


Each year I start by digging out my trusty 3 ring binder. I bought numbered tabs from Staples to keep my data organized. I assign my kiddos numbers at the start of the year...so each number corresponds to one student in my classroom.



Behind each numbered tab I keep copies of reading and comprehension assessments, writing samples, or any other piece that will be useful during conferences. I then copy 3 of my reading data sheets (one  sheet each for the Fall, Winter, and Spring). I use these sheets during independent conferences. The post-it note section is where I keep sticky notes from guided reading, book clubs, or whole group observations.


 At our school we use the Fountas and Pinnell BAS reading assessment to determine reading level in students. For this reason part of our school-wide reading assessment includes keeping record of each student's independent reading level (what they can read and comprehend on their own) as well as their instructional reading level (what they can read and comprehend with the help of their teacher). So, I went ahead and included a reading scale for reference. I've also listed some independent reading behaviors that are expectations during my reader's workshop. Together, I talk with each student about the reading behaviors and whether they showing those behaviors during reader's workshop. At the top of this data collection tool I've listed some reading skills as strengths and goals. I highlight these objectives while listening to students read.


I've used this tool for the last 3 years and have found that it is great to reference during parent/teacher conferences as well as at problem solving meetings. I would LOVE to hear about the data collection tools you use in your classroom! Comment and share your ideas below! If you'd like a copy of this data tool to use in your classroom click here to download the pdf or click the data collection tool above! ENJOY! :)


3 comments :

  1. Love all of your ideas. They are truly creative and your efforts to engage the students and to be on the lookout for making improvements are some of the qualities of a great teacher. Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words! It's that type of compliment that keeps me doing what I'm doing! Thanks again for the encouragement!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collecting relevant data is a struggle. This data sheet and binder idea is great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete